Monday 12 September 2016

Dealing with Travel Anxiety

I like to think I am a "glass half full" kind of gal, but when it comes to travelling, it's a different story.

I am such an anxious traveller. 

I hate being in confined places for so long, I hate not eating properly (plane food, bleh) and I hate not having any control over getting places.

This photo was taken after my travel, I was too anxious before!

So I start getting anxious, stressed and nervous imagining all the things that could go wrong.

What if my luggage goes missing? 
What if our plane is delayed and we miss the second plane?
What if a meteor crashes into our bus?
What if...
What if...
What if...

It makes it complicated for my Frenchy when I start getting stressed out. I have a short fuse, I get angry at the smallest things and I generally stop talking for the first part of the trip! Sorry Frenchy...

We have been on a few long distance trips over the passed 12 months so I have come up with a few techniques to deal with travel anxiety.

1. Plan everything days before you leave for your trip. It's not always possible, but when it is, it makes me feel so much better. I like knowing my tickets are printed, most of my bags are packed, my outfit is planned for the travel day, my transport is organised... blah blah blah. If I have everything planned, it makes me feel like I'm in control.

2. If you start getting stressed and anxious, take a few moments to just do nothing. Sit down, take deep breaths and think about why you are going travelling. This always makes me feel better. I think about why I want to go somewhere, what I'll do, what I'll see and it makes me calmer.

3. Think before you speak! I am still working on this one (sorry Frenchy). When I get overly anxious or stressed I have a very short fuse. My Frenchy calls me his kettle because I boil really hot and then explode! If I take a moment before snapping his head off, things are much more smooth. 

4. Drink plenty of water for the days leading up to your travel. When you're travelling, you can't always drink much water, so try and get hydrated all the days before your travel, so it won't be so bad if you miss a few glasses of water!

I'm still working on this, but for now, these techniques help me deal with my travel anxiety and make my travel days, much smoother.

What are your techniques for dealing with travel anxiety?

For (almost) daily updates head to my Instagram / Facebook / Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...