Monday 5 November 2012

How to Walk in High Heels


I always get asked...
"How do you walk in such high heels?"

My response is always the same...
"With lots of practise!"

There are many benefits to wearing high heel shoes. They make you stand tall, your legs appear slimmer, define your calf muscles and they can even make your stomach, appear flatter. Not to mention, high heels are very feminine and can do wonders for your confidence and self esteem. Walking in high heels is an acquired skill and does take some practise to master. 

I'm no expert with regards to walking in high heels, but I thought, I would share my story and tips with you and hopefully you can use some of them, to conquer those high heels!

Working in a shoe shop, I always had to have current season shoes and I always tried to look my best. When it came to buying my work shoes, I chose styles with low kitten heels or low wedges. These were a good introduction into high heels. Still high enough to give my feet a workout, but low enough, to be able to wear them comfortably.

I believe that by starting with lower heels, it conditioned my feet and strengthened my ankles so I could eventually wear the higher heels.

Whenever I bought new shoes, I'd choose slightly higher heels each time, until I was in high heel stilettos, with a 10cm heel and above.

At first, it was very tough working long hours in high heels. I think my feet, were always hurting! I would wear the heels for a few hours and then change into something lower, to give my feet a break. 

I would wear a lot of wedges in varying heights, as this style evenly distributes the weight across the entire foot (making it more comfortable!), while still maintaining the height. This really helped with getting my feet used to being so high off the ground!

Everyday, I noticed I could last a little bit longer, than the day before. The longer I worked there, the longer I could wear the high heels and the better I was at walking in them!

By starting with small heels and working my way up, this was essential to me, being able to walk in high heels. The more I did it, the better I became at it. 


I find it very natural to wear high heels now and I'm even more coordinated then when I'm wearing low heels or flat shoes!

Here are my tips for walking in high heels and what helped me, in acquiring the skill:

  1. Practise. The more you do it, the better you'll be at it. Make sure to practise on different surfaces. Walking inside on carpet and even surfaces is much easier than walking on uneven concrete or tarmac.
  2. Start with low heels and gradually make your way up the varying heel types and heights. This strengthens your ankles, while getting them used to your heels being so high off the ground.
  3. Be confident. Stand up straight with your core muscles engaged and your shoulders back. Don't look down at your feet! The more confident you feel, the more comfortable your feet will be.
  4. Always lead with the heel. 
  5. Take small steps and keep your legs close together. This looks more graceful while you are walking. 
  6. Keep your knees natural. Your knees should not bend any more than when you are in flats. 
  7. When going up in heel heights, try a wedge heel as this style is more comfortable.
  8. Know the occasion. If you'll be on your feet for an extended period of time, and walking around a lot, maybe choose an option with a lower heel. This will ensure you last longer on your feet. 
  9. Break in your shoes first. Wear your shoes around the house, around the office and even while doing your shopping. This will soften your shoes and get you used to wearing them. It will also start scuffing the soles of your shoes, so they aren't so slippery, when you wear them out.
  10. Don't rush! When you're wearing your high heels, you'll never be able to walk as quick as you can in flat shoes, so walk slow and controlled.
  11. While using stairs, on the way up, just place the balls of your feet on each step. This make the movement more graceful. While descending the stairs, use the railings for balance and support and make sure your entire foot occupies the step.
  12. While you're out, don't take your shoes off! When your feet are sore, they will swell and it'll be much more painful, when you try and put them back on. If  you know you won't make it the night in your heels, carry a pair of flats that you can change into, for the remainder of the night.
  13. If you want to wear a really high stiletto, choose an option with a platform. The platform takes away some of the height, while still maintaining the illusion of a high heel. The platform, better distributes and supports your weight 
Remember to give your feet a rest from high heels, as prolonged wear can result in irreversible damage to your feet and cause back problems.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks you so much for sharing such great information here about high heels.
    Actually, I am looking forward to such a info from long time. Because high heels can permanently damage your feet, ankles, joints and legs. Yes you do get used to them but I wouldn't suggest it. By the time that you are used to them your body will be all screwy

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...